longitudinal mode vibrations

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sun, 30 May 1999 23:33:10 +0200

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> * Aye, there's the rub! There are too many unknown variables in a field
> situation to blame the string twist for false beats. No one that I know of
> seems to have done any controlled experimentation that indicates that
> twisted strings (within reason) sound any different than straight. In fact,
> the only experimentation I'm aware of indicated that there was no
> discernable difference. We've all heard it said by nearly everyone, lo these
> many years, but if it's that critical, it ought to be pretty easily
> demonstrated, shouldn't it? If it was, I bet we'd have seen an Institute or
> Seminar class (or six) proving it by now. If it's common knowledge, why
> haven't I seen any indication that it's true?
>
> I wonder how one would go about measuring longitudinal partials anyway. Can
> this be done with an ETD? If so, someone could set it up fairly easily and
> whack the bejeebers out of a string to get a first hand look at what happens
> to the pitch of the longitudinal. Where are our instrumented experimenters
> out there?
>
>  Ron

Hmm. I wonder about something here. Yamaha goes to great lengths to avoid twisting
wire it was said. If they do this they must have some reason. I mean time is money
at least to some degree. Perhaps they have done some studies that show its
justified. Yamaha has always been clever on the research side. Perhaps somebody from
the home office would be willing to take contact with them to hear what they have to
say on the matter.

Richard Brekne