bass tuning

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sun, 30 May 1999 14:10:21 -0400

> These books seem to be a little vague, which makes me wonder if tuning the bass has to come by experience.

Bass tuning is no different than treble tuning, there are well
established and constant means of evaluating the degree of tempering
of each note.  Most of these test rely upon the use of equal
tempering.  Test for historical tunings are different, distorted into
uselessness and often non existent.

The next time you tune a good piano with good SAT numbers take the
time to check the tuning in the following ways.

Equally descending sixth from the temperament down will highlight a
note that may not fit well.  Check the octave with the M3 and M10 to
see that the M3 is slightly slower.  Check the descending M10s for an
obvious jump is beat rate.

All contiguous M3s have a 4:5 beat ratio.  Example F3-A3 should be
four time in the same time frame that A3-C#4 does.  You can use this
all up and down the scale.

All m3 inverted into a M6 (C2-D#2 D#2-C3) should should be slower by a
small margin.  Bear in mind the m# is a contracted interval.,

All M5s should be pure.

There are more tests and checks but these are the most useful and
audible.  Practice evaluating tunings with these and when you more or
other techniques let us know.

		Newton