Imperials & the SAT

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 30 May 1999 21:59:37 EDT

In a message dated 5/30/99 2:26:57 PM Central Daylight Time, atodd@UH.EDU
writes:

<<  Here's a question I've never seen discussed before. I tuned my first
 Bosendorfer Imperial Grand for a recital last week and was just wondering
 if there is a "best" way to tune the extra 9 bass strings with an SAT?
    Several of them were out in left field somewhere so I just set the SAT
 an octave higher and, in combination with my ear, it worked pretty well.
 I'm just curious if there is a better way to do those notes. Thanks.

 Avery

I asked Jim Coleman, and he told me the way you did it will work.  If you
want to double check with your ear, you'll need a helper.  The cross strut
over the bass strings on the Imperial is exactly at the middle of the
strings.  If someone could put his finger on the string, you'll hear the
octave.  I learned this tip from Victor Borge's son.

Wim