bass tuning

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Mon, 31 May 1999 10:15:26 -0400

Hi John,

Wow, what a can of worms you've opened!  Tuning the bass...

I never had any formal instruction, but have been able to glean some =
info from my reading, so my comments are from the 'untrained'.

My 'temperament area' goes through most of the middle section on the =
decent grands, usually being about C below middle C to the C above =
middle C, perhaps a little farther up.

When I start to tune down from the temperament area, I continue just =
like I was tuning my temperament.  I'm listening to the thirds and =
sixths very heavily.  But I'll also let the fifths and octaves tell me =
which way to lean it.  (All of which is under my hand so to speak.)  I =
usually tune 5 or 6 or 7 notes, and then check with the 10ths, double =
octaves,... the larger intervals, just to see if I like what I hear, and =
if I'm on track.  If I don't like it, I haven't gone too far and can =
easily go back and tweak.  Perhaps I'm unusual, and I've never heard =
other tuners do this, but on some of the finer and clearer pianos, I use =
sixths as a test all the way down into the first octave.  (Certainly not =
the only one, but a test.  It fits under my hand.)  Also, the beat rates =
usually don't die out as fast as the 'theoretical' would lead me to =
believe.  When I keep the beat rates going in the thirds and sixths, I'm =
stretching the octaves, and it seems to help me to keep some consistency =
in the stretch.

I find that using multiple intervals all the way down helps me to keep =
the overall picture a little more in mind.  It can also help me to put =
the stretch I like in it.  For example... As I move down through the =
scale, often I find myself putting the strings here: (Tuning the lower =
note)  I tune the octave.  I leave it a little flat.  If I pull it up to =
'pure', the fifth is too wild.  So I let it down just far enough that I =
can stand the fifth.  But now the octave 'talks to me' just a little.  =
Then I check the (major) third and the (major) sixth.  If they're a =
little too fast, I'll lean the bottom note just a little to the sharp =
side.  If they're a little too slow, I'll lean them to the flat side.  =20

I do 'em in groups of 6 or so, then check with wider intervals, =
eventually ending at the bottom, tweaking as I go.  Then I'll play =
octaves in as wide a fashion as I can up through the scale and see what =
'talks to me', what I might want to tweak.

It's pretty simplistic, and I'm sure there are much more involved and =
'scientific' ways.  I certainly appreciate this thread 'cause I'm =
learnin' too!

But that's how I've been doin' it.  And it seems to do pretty well.  I'm =
beginning to think that just the experience of Doing it may be where it =
is.  A fellow tuner of mine told me... "Just Do It!".  Maybe there's =
something to be said for that?.  You gotta do what works for you.

Best wishes,  and good luck.

Brian Trout
Quarryville, Pa.