longitudinal mode vibrations

dporritt dporritt@swbell.net
Mon, 31 May 1999 10:39:27 -0500

Richard:

Tunelab has a display of the frequency of each note on the main screen
display.  As you change partials, the frequency of that partial is shown.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University
Dallas, Texas
dporritt@swbell.net

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Richard Brekne
Sent: Monday, May 31, 1999 7:23 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: longitudinal mode vibrations

"Paul S. Larudee" wrote:

    Ron Nossaman wrote:
    > I wonder how one would go about measuring longitudinal partials
anyway. Can
    > this be done with an ETD? If so, someone could set it up fairly easily
and
    > whack the bejeebers out of a string to get a first hand look at what
happens
    > to the pitch of the longitudinal. Where are our instrumented
experimenters
    > out there?
    >
    >  Ron

    I agree that experimental studies are the only way to go any farther,
    but I have a feeling there aren't too many grants to be had for this
    sort of research - at least not with pianos as the main application.
    Hope I'm wrong.  Nice discussion, though.  Anyone else have any ideas?

    Paul

One thing we can all do is mail the three biggies Reyburn, Sanderson, and
Tom and ask them to include more features in these products use as measuring
devices. String partials should be able tobe measured in  cents (in both the
Sat III manner and in the manner Reyburn uses) and hz, (for some purposes hz
are handy) and the data should be able to be exported in ascii format for
use in spreadsheets / math graphics programs. Tune Lab is the only one of
the three so far to have this option and its only in cents. (which admitedly
has more uses then hz for our purposes, still the extra option of having hz
would be nice)
Richard Brekne