Tilting on the lyre

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Mon, 31 May 1999 11:52:39 -0400

Anybody got a jpeg image, or something like that?  Man, I'm curious!!!

Brian Trout

-----Original Message-----
From: Avery Todd <atodd@UH.EDU>
To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
Date: Monday, May 31, 1999 10:49 AM
Subject: Re: Tilting on the lyre

Hi Jim,

   I'll try but I'm sure there's someone else who's actually used it who
could do a much better job, plus I've only seen it used once or twice.
   The bass corner is lifted up enough to place the tilter under the
keybed toward the treble end. This suspends the bass leg so one person
can remove it. On the treble end there is an arrangement of some kind
(this is where my memory is vague) that attaches to that leg. Because
of the angle of the piano when it comes down, the instruction videotape
which comes with it recommends placing a 2x4 (I think it is) piece under
the tail end of the skid before tilting the piano. Then it is simply
rolled over onto the skid (pedals not touching the floor) and the entire
long side touches the skid at app. the same time. Push it on up as usual,
remove the lyre and other two legs and that's it. With the 2x4 under the
skid, it also makes it a little easier to lift to place the dolly under
it.
   What I particularly liked about it was that the only real lifting
stress on the mover is when the skid is tilted to place the dolly.
   I hope I've remembered this fairly accurately. If I haven't, someone
please feel free to correct me.

Avery