Thanks To listee's

Rolland Miller rsmiller1@mediaone.net
Mon, 31 May 1999 15:11:45 -0400

Hello list,
Several month ago (3/6/99) I asked the list for help/advice concerning
the purchase of a grand piano for the church my wife and I belong to.
Thanks to your help, the congregation is now enjoying the sound of a 6'
4" mahogany Petrof III piano.
Our pianist, Music Director and congregation are delighted with the
sound and appearance of the piano.
I haven't personally weighed off the action or checked the regulation
yet.  However, the piano seems to play well for me.  I believe our
dealer did a good job of prepping the piano.

The decision to purchase a Petrof over other makes was based on "what
was the best piano we though we could buy for the money we thought we
could raise".  We started out aimed at the $15,000 - $17,000 range.  Our
final price was $14,500 of which the "music committee" presently has
firm pledges of $11,500 and a year left to pay off the piano.

The manner in which the piano was purchased may be of interest to you.
Our church presently has a large, outstanding loan to pay off for recent
improvements to the sanctuary.  Asking for the purchase of a new piano
at this time could have been touchy. First, our Music Director secured
the permission of the Worship Committee to look into the possibility of
purchasing a grand piano.  Second,  members of the Music Committee
approached church members who they knew had strong feelings for music -
members who might contribute $100 - $500 and up.  They received pledges
for about $10,000 within the first three weeks.  Third,  the matter was
brought back to the attention of the worship committee informing them
that $10,000 in pledges were on hand.  At that point the Worship
Committee gave the Music Director permission to present the matter to
the congregation to solicit donations for the remainder of the
purchase.  Fourth, when that was done the congregation's  pledges
brought the total pledges up to $11,500. Fifth, we think we can get the
additional $3000.00 within the year we have to pay the piano off.

Again, thanks to all who commented on the pros and cons of the various
piano brands and considerations that came up in the on-line discussion.
Rolland Miller, Miller Piano Service, North Ridgeville, OH MPT/PTG,rpt.