Baldwins cost more to tune?

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 06:46:06 -0600

I agree with what Dave said here.  Some of the grands are difficult for me,
but I really like tuning the verticals.  I don't charge extra for tuning
them, but the sound quality that I end up with is not the same as that of a
Yamaha.

I tuned a 1976 Baldwin M grand this past week whose bridge pins were a
little loose and some portions of the bridge were poorly notched.  I did not
notice the bridge pins until I got to the treble section and heard false
beats in the strings.  Since there was some falseness in the treble caused
by the bridge pins, I assume that it is that way in the tenor as well.  This
would account for the nasal tone that it produced, right?  The unisons
sounded in tune, but there was a little nasal-like tone.  Couldn't that be
caused by a little falseness in the string, making it sound just *barely*
out of tune?

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of PDtek@AOL.COM
Sent: Monday, November 01, 1999 12:41 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Baldwins cost more to tune?

In a message dated 10/31/99 4:42:41 PM Central Standard Time,
dianepianotuner@hotmail.com writes:

<<    Do you charge an additional fee to tune a Baldwin?

No, but to me they are more difficult to tune. I'm speaking of the grands,
and more so the newer ones. I see a lot of them doing all of the Baldwin
work
for a large dealer. There seems to be too much friction at the bearing
points
making it difficult to equalize the string tension to get a good, stable
tuning. The high treble can also have a lot of falseness.

I only see the overly tight pins on some of the verticals. Otherwise I find
them very easy to tune.

Dave Bunch