Observations on Tuning

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 08:36:48 EST

In a message dated 11/01/1999 4:04:27 AM, Tom C. wrote:

<<"Conventional wisdom has it that a string is not properly set unless you
use loud test blows.">>
<<"I'm glad to say that I'm not of that school of thought.">>

John;
 Tom demonstrates the value of "Conventional Wisdom" in piano work by these
two sentences. :-) First he says 'it is' and then he says 'he ain't' !!  This
is an example of how we can get four opinions, on a single topic, by asking
three techs the same question :-)
 Now we all know that "Tom" is conventional, mostly, and I don't think that
any would consider him "unconventional" in any manner as pertaining to
pianos......course he does live in CA...but we all have some faults huh?

 I agree with everything Tom said in his response and would like to add one
or two things.  In the anal retentive world we work in there are things that
are taken to extremes because....... if they are 'correct' for one piano they
'should' be 'correct' for all pianos.............t'aint so in my opinion.
While hard blows might be called for on an instrument where string rendering
is poor the same hard blow just adds work to the piano where string rendering
is excellent.  I don't know how to describe in words the difference between
"hard blow" and "firm blow" but there is a definite difference and if "firm
blows" don't work for you there is a problem with rendering that should be.
or at least could be, addressed.

  Good hammer technique/pin setting will do more for ease of tuning and for
stable tuning than will any amount of "pounding" the keys...not to mention
"firm" is easier on your ears :-)  Is "pounding" ever called for? Yes, just
be very selective and be aware that there is a good reason that it is called
for be it a performer who "pounds" the keys while playing or a poor rendering
piano or some other identifiable factor.

  Now this ain't "conventional" and it ain't "wisdom" it jus be my thoughts.
:-)
Jim Bryant (FL)