twisting bass strings (was "Samick warranty work")

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Mon, 01 Nov 1999 19:49:53 -0800

At 09:11 PM 11/01/1999 -0600, Brian wrote:
>  They were twisted against the wrap,
>NOT IN THE DIRECTION OF THE WRAP.
>
>I was always taught to find the wrap end and twist in the same direction
>that the end was pointing.  This is supposed to tighten the wrap.  If the
>wrap was clockwise, then twist 1/2 turn clockwise.  I have also read in the
>PTG journal not to twist more than 1 full turn.

I remember <grin> one evening, working on a tired old short grand with
buzzing bass strings. I had about a dozen to deal with. I tried one, and it
worked fine, with about a twist and a half. I went on to the others, and
one after another didn't improve. I went back and did a couple of them
over, twisting even further, and they got worse yet ....

I had carefully checked the direction of the wrap for the first string, and
then done the others the same way, AND THE FIRST ONE WAS A REPLACEMENT
STRING. The wrap went the opposite direction from all the others.

Susan