"pounding"

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 11:46:08 -0600

>I know that I'm the only guy on the planet that thinks strings render
>across bridges, but I don't account for my observations any other way.
>

>Ron N

No you're not.  I saw a very convincing demonstration of this principle by
Jim Ellis using his monochord about a year and a half ago.  He demonstrated
that forceful blows would not COMPLETELY equalize strings across bridges,
but that they indeed helped.  This is his argument for keeping your piano
in tune.  Makes sense to me.

I might add that I experienced dramatic improvement in tuning stability
after I learned how to use strong blows WHILE turning the tuning pin --
then check with softer strikes.  My hammer technique didn't change, and is
identical to what Susan described.

One strange observation I have made, though, is that you can pound away on
a S&S after you get the string/pin settled without a change in pitch.  But
with other makes, the pitch will take a nosedive with every strike as if
neither will settle.  Why?

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, Piano Technician
School of Music