loose let-off screw

John Voigt jvoigt@gwtc.net
Tue, 02 Nov 1999 21:23:10 -0600

List,

I have been lurking on the list for close to a year and want to tell you
all that what I have learned from you has been incredible!  My thanks go
to those who have asked questions I feared to ask because I was sure
everyone knew the answer but me.  Thank also to those who regularly
contribute their wisdom.

I tuned a Story & Clark upright several months ago which had one note
not working due to the let-off screw being turned down too far causing
the jack to trip too soon.  I simply adjusted it and went on with
tuning.  The customer now tells me a note is not working.  My guess is
that the let-off button has again worked its way out of regulation on
this note.  My first inclination is to adjust it again and treat with a
few drops of CA to make it hold.  My fear is that the CA might make it
so tight that future regulation would twist the screw off.  Any
suggestions?  Would turning the screw before the CA set make it tight
without bonding the screw to the rail?  Is there something that would
work better?

Thanks in advance for your help!

John Voigt