Yamaha Duplex Scale

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Wed, 3 Nov 99 19:24:51 +1100

Hi list,

Yamaha C5 rear duplex lengths are inappropriately set to enable them to
be tuned to the intended harmonic of the fundamental tones.

I find the 'chorus' effect of 'out of tune' duplexes, in the extreme
treble sections of Yamaha and Steinway pianos (and others), to be
moderately annoying. However, should a tech wish to tune the duplexes of
these pianos, it would be necessary first to replace the rear duplex
blocks, which are cast in multiple note sections at 'out of tune'
harmonic lengths, with individual blocks placed at a ratio of the
fundamental's speaking length.

We have rebuilt several grand pianos with individual rear duplex blocks
set and tuned to specific harmonic lengths (it takes six months of
refinement post_rebuild to get them exactly to the correct lengths and
tuning_stable). While these instruments seem to have cleaner and better
defined treble sections, I am not sure whether its due the fact that the
harmonics are in tune, or whether it is due to the superior seating of
the individual duplex blocks on the iron plate. We have found that poorly
seated group rear duplexes can lead to a propensity to falseness.
Furthermore, the 'benefits' of a tuned rear duplex system seem to be
better when the hitch pins behind the duplex blocks are not further than
20mm from the duplex block. We recently rebuilt a Kawai KG6 incorporating
shorter than OEM and tuned duplex lengths, relocating the hitch pins to
20mm behind the blocks. We were delighted with the result. For those of
you who have been unlucky enough to tune a factory KG6, they are
typically disastrously false in the treble and mid sections. I have
always believed that the unusually long rear duplex lengths (similar to
the '70s CF Yamahas) were responsible for these problems. It appears to
be so.

I should perhaps add that rebuilding Kawai KG6 pianos with appropriate
modifications, including appropriate action geometry changes, can
transform them into one of the finest 7' pianos one can experience (even
when compared with product from the world's leading manufacturers).

Ron E. Overs

Email: ron@overspianos.com.au
Website: www.overspianos.com.au