Mock tuning test ??

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 09:34:29 EST

In a message dated 11/3/99 6:18:24 AM Pacific Standard Time, rscott@wwnet.net
(Robert Scott) writes:

<<  So the de-tuning offsets
 in cents are:

 C1: SNIP!!!  >>

AHEM!!!  I guess the Freedom of Information act may apply but these figures
were supposed to be confidential.  The reason is that if the Examinee *knows*
what the detuning values were, it would be a simple matter to simply find the
value for the note with the ETD, reverse the sign and the correct value would
be known.  And this, of course, would be cheating.

I suppose also however, that such a scheme would actually result in a failing
score because the piano is detuned rather quickly and with no attempt at
making it stable.  The same person, using the ETD's electronically calculated
program, such as an FAC program, would generally produce a tuning that would
score 100%.

Only someone with a non-programmable ETD might be foolish enough to attempt
such a scheme.  Even if that person were to succeed somehow by using this
information, the Exam would most likely be failed on some other count.  If
not the pitch, first two octaves aurally or the stability, it would be the
unisons.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin