Third-string catchers

John R Fortiner pianoserv440@juno.com
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 08:55:30 -0700

Hi Paul:  The catchers that you are referring to on that Hamilton are
most likely a material called "Corfam" which was a synthetic "suede" like
material used in place of real buckskin.  Just a couple of weeks ago I
replaced all the Corfam on the catchers as well as on the hammer butts -
WOW what a difference.  The problem is that the plasticizers (sp?) in
that synthetic material eventually "go away" leaving a very hard brittle
material that will not soften up again. ( Using coarse sandpaper on it
may give some relief - but it is only temporary.)  And you are correct in
that the backchecks will NOT catch - especially on light blows.  Baldwin
will provide a replacement material free of charge and will also provide
some CA to apply the new with.  Of course you are always free to use your
own buckskin.
 Personally, I prefer hot hide glue and have had no problems with it.  If
you need more info contact either Kent Webb at Baldwin, or me if you wish
at the address at the bottom of this post.
To all reading this post:  There are a variety of ways of getting the old
material out of the slot in the hammer butt when replacing that piece -
referring to when just pulling leaves a little of the Corfam broken off
in the slot.  I have heard of people using hacksaw blades and who knows
what else.  I tried all the suggestions and finally came upon using a
fine toothed bandsaw blade ( on the band saw ) .  Really fast, neat, and
easy - like about 3-4 seconds each - and I LOVE having that bandsaw table
supporting the hammerbutt instead of just using my fingers.

John R. Fortiner
Billings, MT.
email: pianoserv440@juno.com