Third-string catchers

Brian Henselman musicmasters@worldnet.att.net
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 15:07:50 -0600

>Brian, sounds like you haven't tuned a Steinway upright yet.
>Jeff
>
>Jeff Tanner, Piano Technician

Ouch Jeff.

Do the terms "marshmellow-zone" or vertigris ring a bell?  Flagpoles are for
flags, not tuning pins.  Mutton tallow is for, well, just about anything
other than nickle-silver/brass center pins!  Teflon is for frying pans.
Compression ridges make a great place on the soundboard to strike a match
when the power fails.

Hey, I've just thought of a new "riddle" game.  Each day some one should
post up a list of the most common ailments for a specific "mystery" brand or
model piano.  (Try to make it funny like the 10 best things about Samick
list, but points will be taken off for inaccuracies, so make the list
credible).  Then we could each take a shot at identifying the piano, or
better yet, depending on the brand, just shoot the piano.

BTW I forgot to add sluggish action centers requiring Baldwin's famous
methanol and water solution, which when applied to corfam actions,
guarantees petrified corfam in only a few short minutes!  (It seems ironic
that Baldwin would invent the recipe that works wonders on tight action
centers, but then it can't be used on Baldwin actions because of the
corfam.)  Huh?

I tuned one of these 1970's Baldwin corfam action spinets yesterday and ran
out of a whole bottle of protek!  I wonder if Protek and Baldwin ever had
some collusion conspiracy going on here?

Again, I wouldn't recommend roughing the corfam with a checking file.  I
wouldn't want to hurt the file.

Cheers,
Brian Henselman, RPT
Austin, TX