Grand touch

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 19:55:09 EST

>> In addition I find that ... insuring a repetition spring strength on
>the
>>"strong" side does wonders for
>> speed, and can contribute to the illusion of lightness of touch.

Greetings,
    Since the spring doesn't lift the hammer in fast repetion, but rather,
increases the speed of the key return, the effect of stronger springs has,
imho, little to recommend it for additional speed.  As long as it is strong
enough to slowly lift the hammer from check, I have not found increasing the
spring to help repetition speed.  Personally, I set the springs to lift the
hammers as fast as possible without feeling them lift through the key.
    As mentioned by Stan,  the stronger the spring, the more resistance is
felt on the pianisimmo blow.  This is troublesome when setting up an action
for maximum sensitivity.
Regards,
Ed Foote
Precision Piano Works