Grand touch

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 01:11:58 EST

Hi, Paul:

I'm not David Stanwood, but he probably already went to bed.  But what I
understood from his remark is not so much that reducing the strikeweight
really reduces touchweight.  Rather, it reduces the perception of touchweight
for the pianist, by increasing aftertouch.  Since too much aftertouch causes
other performance problems (by increasing the distance from the jack to the
knuckle at full key depth) this approach is not so desirable unless the
aftertouch is insufficient to begin with.  Is this what you were after?

I would be weighing strike weights except that I succeeded in crashing my
Ohaus gram scale to the shop floor -- not smart....While it is being
serviced, it's a good excuse to get the mini version I have been coveting for
some time.  I cannot imagine having been without a scale all these years.

Bill Shull, Associate Member PTG (former/future RPT)
University of Redlands, La Sierra University

In a message dated 11/3/99 9:32:29 PM Pacific Standard Time,
larudee@pacbell.net writes:

<< David C. Stanwood wrote:

 > Dear Kristinn,
 >
 > Reducing the striking distance would be at the bottom of my list of
 > choices.  Actions may be made light enough by other means.

 Why would changing the striking distance change the weight anyway?

 Paul S. Larudee, RPT
 Richmond, CA