74-99 cents flat

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Thu, 04 Nov 1999 03:25:39 -0400

Hi,
I agree with Brian.
It is time to view the top of the pin block. You might have to remove
the top. It may be glued on, with or without screws.
I have 4      8" C clamps that I use to pull the block, back into
position. Sometimes, I don't even have to lower the tension.
I then remove the screws, or lag bolts, one at a time and drill out the
hole to accept a carriage bolt.   3/8" is apparently all that is needed,
although larger can be used, if it gives you a more secure feeling.
Acorn nuts could be used to give a more 'finished' look
Make sure no wood chips get in the seperation, before you glue and close
the seperation.
Check for loose or cracked bridges, and cracks in the soundboard. This
probelem is normally caused by an extremely dry environment. It could
have loose pins as well.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada