Grand touch

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Thu, 04 Nov 1999 14:56:20 +0100

A440A@AOL.COM wrote:

> >> In addition I find that ... insuring a repetition spring strength on
> >the
> >>"strong" side does wonders for
> >> speed, and can contribute to the illusion of lightness of touch.
>
> Greetings,
>     Since the spring doesn't lift the hammer in fast repetion, but rather,
> increases the speed of the key return, the effect of stronger springs has,
> imho, little to recommend it for additional speed.  As long as it is strong
> enough to slowly lift the hammer from check, I have not found increasing the
> spring to help repetition speed.  Personally, I set the springs to lift the
> hammers as fast as possible without feeling them lift through the key.
>     As mentioned by Stan,  the stronger the spring, the more resistance is
> felt on the pianisimmo blow.  This is troublesome when setting up an action
> for maximum sensitivity.

This is not in my experience Ed. Or perhaps it is just another way of saying the
same thing. Since the spring pushes at both the hammer (upwards) and the
opposite end of the lever system (the key downwards) I suppose you could view it
in this manner. As for the concern on pianisimo blow, of course there are limits
to how strong you can set the spring. I have seen spring strength
recommendations varie a lot. Some say it should be strong enough to simply hold
the hammer at check height, others say a very slow rise, others say a firm and
definant rise. I like your description, "strong enough to not feel them lift
through the key" Tho I would rather put it .... "Strong enough to just barely
feel them lift through the key".

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway