tough tuning

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 16:13:57 -0600

>I'm also wondering about humidity and DC stuff. They say they keep the
>place at a constant temperature 24 hours daily..........
>
>Any quick responses would be appreciated.
>
>les bartlett
>houston

Hi Les,

They say.

We "attempt" to keep our recital hall at the same temperature year round
(though this morning I found the heat on... the room was over 80 degrees,
and humidity down around 35% -- after two days ago measuring 72 degrees and
61%!).  But the humidity can fluctuate from low 30s up to as much as 70% at
72 degrees during the year.  There's your pitch instability.

I'd bet you couldn't count on them to tend a DC, much less keep the thing
plugged in.

I agree with Jay.

Also, a thread got started one time about a "service contract" not unlike a
copier dealer does.  For a set monthly fee, you could cover things like X
number of tunings per year, annual regulation, etc., or however you'd want
to set it up, but make it worth your while.  Anything not covered by the
contract at a certain discount off non-contract cost.  You might interest
them in something like that, depending on what type of resturant it is.

Some thoughts.
Jeff