Boston

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 04 Nov 1999 21:13:50 -0600

Hi Kristinn,
                A fast elimination check for you. It sounds like forward V
bar noise. A worn groove is damping the string and it is rattling against
the side of the groove.
Take a blunt screw driver and tap the string over, to get it out of the
groove, if the note cleans up and the sustain increases. You have found
your problem.

If this is the problem, drop the tension of the whole section and polish
the bar with emery cloth, shoe shine style.

If you do two note at a time with 1" wide emery cloth the piano will be
easier to stabilize. I usually lub the bar with parafine wax after
polishing. It improves rendering.

If the hammers are getting too hard it will tend to amplify the problem.

Regards Roger

At 11:32 PM 04/11/99 +0000, you wrote:

>List
>
>I have come across, what seems to me, a recurring problem with the Boston
>grand pianos.
>
>When playing forte there is a buzzing in the lower treble.
>
>This is accompanied by a short sustain, about 5-8 seconds.
>
>The problem does not seem to be connected to the hammers.  I repeat, these
>are more than one, and more than two instruments, with the buzzing isolated
>to this area.
>
>Any thoughts?  Might it be bridge-connected?
>
>What is your general experience with Boston?
>
>Kristinn Leifsson
>Reykjavík, Iceland

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.