Noisy Steinway Wippens

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Thu, 04 Nov 1999 20:54:33 -0800

At 11:21 PM 11/04/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi List:
>Came across a 1975 Steinway with teflon bushings today.  Wippens in the bass
>area were especially noisy.  Almost sounded like wood banging against wood.
>After tightening all action screws in the area, the noise was still there.  I
>checked for keybed noise and it was   not that.  Is my diagnosis of it being
>the teflon centers the problem or what else should I look for? If it is the
>teflon bushings, what can be done other than replacing the really noisy
>wippens?
>Bob Bergantino, RPT
>Willoughby Hills, Ohio

One other thing you might check: see if the spring is making noise against
the teflon post that is now used instead of bushing cloth around a center
pin, to hold the rep spring in. I've known it to make a click. To test it,
you might push out one teflon post and put in a piece of good,
old-fashioned damper cord, and see if the noise goes away.

Susan Kline