hide glue

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Thu, 04 Nov 1999 23:09:54 -0200

Paul and Conrad,

>From _A Treatise on the Art of Pianoforte Construction_ by Samuel Wolfenden:
"...it is now proved beyond a doubt that a 33 1/3 per cent. mixture, critically
made and used, results in stronger work than any higher density." p227

This regards structural usage of hide glue. Different thicknesses should be
made for different tasks, such as gluing felt where thin glue would penetrate
too much. Sometimes I add gelatin to it for additional tack, though sacrificing
working time and life.

Don't make more than you need! I do a fair amount of veneering, where age is
measured in hours. Also, you may want to recalibrate your glue pot to the
correct temperature - too hot will ruin the glue.

Clark