Screw Stringer

Kit Cleworth kitster@mosquitonet.com
Sun, 07 Nov 1999 01:29:56 -0900

Arthur:

I regularly tune a M&H 1890 Screwstringer grand.  It's pretty stable, but
you don't want to go much over correct pitch.  No dramatic pitch raises.
The old mechanisms won't take the stress.  I find the best results when I
start a little low and raise the pitch slowly while giving the note good
strong blows.

As for the supply houses, they do supply a Mason & Hamlin wrench but the
sides are too thick to fit between the nuts.  You will have to do alot of
grinding on it.

Kit Cleworth