Question: What's the difference?

Del Gittinger delgit@acc-net.com
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 10:40:17 -0500

I agree with Graeme on most of this.  The digital pianos cannot and do =
not (yet) provide this "mixing" that happens on the piano soundboard =
either with or without the sustain pedal played.

Digital pianos are recordings of a particular piano and the player is =
actually playing a recording in real time.  Young people have grown up =
listening to recordings and very few, if any, real pianos.  Although I'm =
convinced that once given the opportunity to play a fine piano (not the =
out-of-tune spinet in most homes) they wouldn't want to go back to =
digital.  Kinda-like real home-made ice cream versus ice-milk sold at =
dairy bars.

My church's sound man has no idea what the real Baldwin "L" I keep in =
good tune (and used to voice) sounds like or should sound like.  He has =
an excellent condenser microphone on it but "tweaks" the sound into a =
thin sound similar to a Winter spinet piano.  I've given up voicing it - =
he just changes his settings to adjust.  If and/or when I play the piano =
I unplug the microphone - without the sound man's knowledge.  He's never =
commented on it.  The piano has plenty of projection to fill the 1000 =
seat sanctuary.

Del Gittinger, RPT
Del's Music Studio, Marion, OH
Piano Tuning & Service
Electronic Instrument repairs including organs
delgit@acc-net.com