Grotrian Cymbalese

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sun, 07 Nov 1999 10:09:13 -0600

>"You can check this by plucking the front duplex...what you should hear here
>is the same note as the speaking length on the other side of the capo
>bar...this is good, it's doing it's job. But if you can hear another strong
>note that's not related to the speaking length pitch, it's the note being
>produced by the duplex in it's own right."

* Absolutely correct, and easily enough explored and verified by a little
systematic plucking.

>Is it the duplexs primary job to strengthen the fundemental or augment the
>harmonics of that fundemental then ? Or does this sort of depend on what you
>are trying to
>accomplish ?

* I think it depends on that the designer "thinks" he's trying to
accomplish. The basic function of the duplex is to make noise. Whether or
not it makes the noise intended by the designer is largely up to the
realities of the manufacturing process, and outside the designers control.
Sometimes, a design requires more precision than the process is capable of.
Some things look good on paper, or a computer screen, and just don't work
that well in practice.

>Btw Mark... having trouble locating Rons posting on it earlier this year. If
>you bump into it (dont waste any time on my account tho.. grin, let me know)
>
>Richard Brekne
>I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
>Bergen, Norway

* I'd say the relative loudness of the sound coming from the speaking
length, resulting from plucking the front duplex, is directly related to
how much string energy is leaking past the capo. Wouldn't you think?

Ron N