Screw Stringer

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 11:32:14 -0600

>		List:
>		Any words of wisdom on tuning my first M&H screw stringer
>(1890).
>		tuning wrench is missing, would Schaff carry this item?
>		Thanks Arthur

Here's info from an 1890 Style 10 in my area:
===============================
Mason & Hamlin Piano Stringer
Patented July 24, 1883
To Tuners.
Always tune with Upward Movement of the screw.  When a string is too sharp,
drop it below the desired pitch and draw up again, as the tendency of the
string in these pianos is to sharp, not to flat, under a test blow.
International pitch at A436 adopted November 6, 1891

I couldn't imagine tuning it without the original wrench, but the one
advertised in the catalog apparently serves that purpose as others have
already testified.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731