Grotrian Cymbalese

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sun, 07 Nov 1999 17:25:48 -0600

>This would seem to suggest that energy leaking through to the duplex at the
>fundemental of the speaking length is desirable ? I see I have some
>rethinking of
>my duplex concept to do.. grin.

* That, to my knowledge is the only purpose of a front duplex. If you want
to have the duplex make noise you have to get the energy from somewhere,
don't you?

>I am curious Ron,, what is it that you try to accomplish with the front
>duplex in
>this regard, and how is it you go about acomplishing it.

* My intent in any redesign of a front duplex system is to shut the thing
up. I try to achieve a high enough bearing angle (about 20 degrees), and as
short as practical duplex length that it doesn't make any detectable noise
at all. I don't want it "reinforcing" any partial of any string segment of
the piano in any way, if I can avoid it. I don't think a "tuned" front
duplex is necessary at all if the soundboard is doing it's job adequately.

>Is it possible to
>strengthen the fundemental of the speaking length with front duplex. I am
>trying
>to work this one out in my mind, A duplex length would have to vibrate at some
>frequency higher then the partial, what frequencies.. if any would have the
>affect of re-enforcing the fundemental of the speaking length ? I suppose I
>could
>use Tunelab to look into this to some degree...

* I suppose it's possible, but why is it necessary?

>> * I'd say the relative loudness of the sound coming from the speaking
>> length, resulting from plucking the front duplex, is directly related to
>> how much string energy is leaking past the capo. Wouldn't you think?
>
>Hmmm...If the speaking length sounds loudly from plucking the duplex, and the
>duplex frequency is more or less masked by this, this equates to leakage. In
>the
>first paragraph above this condition is described as "good". Have I
>misunderstood
>?

>Richard Brekne
>I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
>Bergen, Norway

* Some leakage is inevitable, no matter what you do, good or bad. It's
strictly a matter of what the designer expects to get as a result that is
the issue.

Ron N