Third-string catchers

John R Fortiner pianoserv440@juno.com
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 18:29:38 -0700

Hi Paul:
Regarding the Corfam infested piano and your penney pinching customer it
might be worth your time to replace - with buckskin - just one of the
catcher leathers that is not operating correctly.  Point out to him where
it is currently checking ( well, at least trying to catch ) and then
remove ( read sand or otherwise remove ) the Corfam.  Use CA and an
accelerator to replace just that one with buckskin and let your customer
note the difference.  He/she will have to be dead to not see it.  It is
kind of like a picture is worth a thousand words.  Nice thing about this
"picture" is that your cost is very little and you stand so much to gain.

John R. Fortiner
Billings, MT.

ps.  If using CA and an accelerator apply the CA to the catcher and the
accelerator to the leather.  Press the two together and be prepared for a
fair amount of heat under your finger that is holding the leather in
place.  Takes about 5 seconds.