Grotrian Cymbalese

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sun, 07 Nov 1999 22:28:40 -0600

> There is no felt muting of any duplex section
>anywhere on the instrument.
>Richard Brekne

Richard,
I had a creeping feeling that I was overlooking something here. Going back
to your original post, it now seems fairly likely to me that the noise you
described is coming from the back scale of the low tenor. I have restrung
pianos, especially larger pianos, without muting off the backscale in this
area to see what would happen. The result was occasionally a noise enough
like your description to be a plausible cause. The clue is the second delay
between the note being played, and the secondary noise. Front duplex noise
in the low treble tends to be more immediate. It's easy enough to braid off
the area, even though you have to do it through the bass strings, and see
if the noise goes away. Wherever it proves to be coming from, you can do
some selective muting with masking tape to isolate the source before trying
a fix. The more information you have going in, the better your chances of
affecting a cure, or at least ascertaining whether a cure is likely or not.
It helps somewhat to know what it is you're trying to fix.

Ron N