Question: What's the difference?

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Sun, 07 Nov 1999 21:18:42 PST

Graeme,

  You are right on.   A digital piano has only a fraction of the mix of
harmonics that an acoustic piano does. The samples are relatively short in
duration (frequently only a few seconds) and then the sample is looped over
and over for greater sustain so you hear only the harmonics from the first
attack of the key.  Furthermore, the sound engineer almost always finds a
few notes he thinks are the best and builds all the others from those.

  In addition, the note on a digital is either "off" or "on" and there is no
sympathetic resonance through the bridges and soundboard between notes which
share partials as there is in an acoustic piano.  Thus whole layers of sound
are lost.

  Next time you do get to see a digital try this experiment, first on an
acoustic piano and then on the digital:

  Hold the keys of a chord down so that the strings are open, but no sound
is being created (neither damper nor hammer touch string) and with your
right hand play a run using the keys in that cord, then, while the sound is
continuing, let the keys of the chord up one by one and listen to the
changing sound.

  Diane