Squeaking knuckles - best treatment?

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 07:01:32 -0600

The micro-fine Teflon powder works, but it might take a couple (or several)
applications for it to remain in the knuckle leather.  I have noticed
squeaking knuckles espcially on Young Chang, but also on a Weber.  Other
cheaper imports as well.  However, I have heard that the problem can and
will exist on all knuckles eventually.

You can get the micro-fine Teflon powder from Bill Spurlock, and I also have
seen it in Schaff's new catalog.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of BSimon999@AOL.COM
Sent: Monday, November 08, 1999 12:38 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Squeaking knuckles - best treatment?

I recently tuned two import grands with significant squeaks on every note as
the key began to be depressed. In neither case did I have the time to pull
the action to confirm diagnosis, but I expect to return and treat the
knuckles.

What is currently the BEST standard practice in eliminating the problem. I
understand that a number of techs are using powdered Teflon products.  Is
there a consensus on using these products?

Thank you,

Bill Simon
Phoenix