Question: What's the difference?

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 19:48:23 EST

In a message dated 11/8/99 4:21:40 PM Pacific Standard Time, you write:

<< Even though we
 want a piano to be in tune, I think part of the "character" of a piano is
 when it is slightly out of tune. I think it adds a certain amount of warmth
 to the sound. And this is something that can never be duplicated
 electronically.  >>

This is the warmth that comes from a temperament that is not equal.  Once the
temperament has had every bit of tonal distinction removed from it, a quality
that most people today look to as the state of perfection, it starts to
resemble the sound you might expect from an electronic keyboard:  totally
lifeless and uninteresting.

Curiously enough however, not all electronic keyboards can be expected to be
perfect either.  A friend of mine has one that actually has a good
representation of a Well-Tempered Tuning.  Just last week, I happened upon
one in a music classroom and decided to see if the temperament was really
equal.  It wasn't.  Although the inequality was slight, it was the backwards
version of a Well-Tempered Tuning that has come to be called, "Reverse Well".

It makes virtually all music sound somewhat unfocused, disoriented and
uninteresting yet it seems to be a very commonly made error.  I wonder why I
am the only person who seems to notice this and also why virtually no one
else seems to want to admit that it has ever been observed.  I hear it
virtually everywhere I go and on the majority of pianos that I test for
temperament accuracy.

Why would the technicians who set up the scale of an electronic keyboard
deliberately create a backwards version of a Historical Temperament rather
than a true ET or a true HT?  If it was done in error, why was the error so
consistent rather than being just at random?  I have a good theory on why
aural tuners make the error but how an electronic keyboard temperament could
end up being so perfectly backwards is beyond my understanding.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin