Note in an octave

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 22:16:10 -0400

jim,

i'm afraid regis is right.  there are eight "notes" in most scales but only
six whole "tones", in an octave.  a whole step or tone is two half steps so
in "c" the six steps would be;

c-d  whole
d-e  whole
e-f#  whole
f#-g#  whole
g#-a#  whole
a#-c  whole

that is a whole tone scale starting on c.

a major scale, consisting of seven steps or eight notes, uses whole steps
and half steps;

c-d  whole
d-e  whole
e-f  half
f-g  whole
g-a  whole
a-b  whole
b-c  half

it's been twenty years since i was not paying attention in music theory
class  but i think this should clear it up.

chris

>#2 daughter just asked me, "Dad, how many whole tones are in an octave"?
>
>I could have belabored the point, based on 12-tone music, etc. However, I
>said "Eight, like 'octo' from the Latin, etc. Why do you ask?"
>
>She had just been watching the 'Who wants to be a millionaire" program, and
>this was one of the questions. The contestant answered "Eight"... bzzzt.
>
>The "correct" response was that there are twelve half-tones in an octave,
>and SIX whole tones. The contestant missed the question by answering eight.
>
>So, in spite of all my muzical educashun, I must have been sick that day.
>Would someone 'splain this to me?
>

>Jim Harvey, RPT
>Greenwood, SC
>harvey@greenwood.net
> -- someone who's been in the field too long.

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH

-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (740) 593-1656    fax# (740) 593-1429