Quikset on bridge?

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Tue, 09 Nov 1999 21:05:44 -0600

"John M. Formsma" wrote:

> List,
>
> Was wondering if tuning pin tightener applied to bridge pins would stop the
> false beats caused by slightly loose pins.  I had this thought that it might
> work, and tonight I was looking in the APSCO catalog for an unrelated
> thing--saw that they advertise that their "Quikset" (p. 47) will work on
> loose bridge pins.  Has anyone here tried that?  What were the results?
> What about discoloration from Quikset?  They say that "Quikset will not
> cause wood to rot or metal to rust."

I wouldn't.  It will likely discolor the bridges and possibly rust the pins
and/or strings, (even if the label says that it won't).  It will also likely do
little or nothing to improve false beats.  You may even weaken the hide glue
holding on the cap.  If the pins are loose and the bridges are cracked and it is
a piano not worth a cap replacement, you might want to consider repining the
bridges.  Cracks can be neatly repaired with epoxy during the same operation.
It really isn't all that difficult and the results would be far better.  You can
even do this without restringing the piano.  Just do a section at a time by
removing tension and slipping the strings off of the hitch pins and tying them
up out of the way.  You can clean up the notches, clean and re-dag the bridge
tops, file the new pins flat and pretty, and your customer will brag about you
for the rest of your career.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV