Digital vs Real

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 23:15:59 -0600

; a hammer strikes a string differently and in slightly
> altered positions depending on the force used and a unison "sounds"
> diferently when struck from fully dampened position then when struck in a
> not-fully-dampened position.

Yes!! for years I have been trying how to figure out how to get a hammer to strike a
string in a "not-fully-dampened position." and even in the "fully dampened position"
 Have I got a lot to learn yet, or are you talking about half pedaling? ; )---ric

This thread stated about a comparison to a Roland  "digital" model (un-named) to an
out
of tune grand piano in a church.
	A church I tune for has a Roland digital and Baldwin Hamilton upright (modern)
They tune it twice a year and so I check the pitch between the two which is stays
close enuf to a'440, thank you.
I can't remember the model, (2000 something??) but why should I?  The temperament
was awful, and unisons off. Not enough to make a difference in playing (considering
the "electronic" sound) but still detectible aurally and certainly demonstrable to
anyone who would want to listen.  Now, I own a Roland Juno 60 synthesizer, and the
temperament on that is as good as I have heard. However no piano sound. But good
harpsichord, B-3, a better than clavinette, and nice strings. So  much for
electronic sounds.

But did you hear the White House Music broadcast on PBS?  Last Thurs?  Featured BB
King.   Reperesenting a folkloric American music tradition. Anyhow I  heard a piano,
but it was digital.  Could 't see the name.  It sounded "real" enough for that
genera.
The success of the "digitals" will depend on how close they can match the "reals"
through loud speakers.  Judging by the White House concert, the digitals are looking
at  a long and happy success.

Don't get me wrong.  I don't expect the Chopin preludes to sound better live on
anything but a real piano, nor expect to hear them recorded on digitals. But for
anyone else who performs for or through loud speakers, I can see the day, (if not
just yesterday) this major segment of the music industry will opt for digitals.
Just hope and loby for digital pianos that have "real" piano actions in them.  At
least there will be some work for piano techs such as regulation.
---ric