oversize bridge pins

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 08:32:41 -0600

List,

I have a customer with a late 1800s very recently rebuilt Steinway (new
pinblock/strings).  I believe that he said it was a model L.  Anyway, the
rebuilders did no bridge repair.  No epoxy, no new pins--nothing!  The
treble has many false beats throughout.  He has contacted the rebuilders who
suggested oversize bridge pins.  (These folks apparently do no bridge work
since they do not even stock bridge pins in their shop--they had to order
them.)  They were willing to send their technician to put oversize pins in
the bridge.  Because of the questionable experience of these rebuilders, my
gut feeling is that there would be no drilling involved which would likely
cause cracks in the bridge when oversize pins are put in.

The customer is a structural engineer and owns a book by Wm Braid White on
piano servicing.  We have talked at length about the false beats and he
understands the cause of them.  After talking with me about the oversize
pins and the chance of the bridge cracking if done improperly, he decided
that I will be his technician, and has made arrangements with the rebuilders
for me to do the work on the piano.  He prefers drilling for oversize pins.
I have reservations about putting oversize pins in for the entire treble
section, and prefer the epoxy repair.  Since I am the technician, we will do
it my way :-) unless oversize pins is just as good.  What are your thoughts
on this?

Thanks very much.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS