Tuning Pins

Paul Brown paulbrn@home.com
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 19:22:16 -0800

Hi George:

I think your decision should depend on the piano you are tuning George.  For
example nobody has talked about finding loose tuning pins that are "in a
horizontal line"  or  "vertical line"  indicating possible cracks in the
pinblock.  Also,  I tried to tune a piano - with loose tuning pins - that was
just had an action rebuild.  I noticed that the plate had moved 1/2 an inch
(toward me) and wasn't in its original location.  In that case I told the
customer that I suspected the pinblock was separating.  After letting the
tension down on the piano and removing the top board - I put my fist in the
separated pinblock!

If you find individual loose tuning pins and there are no structural problems,
I've never had a problem tapping in the pins (as long as the coil remains above
the plate).  I also have used CA glue and definitely like the results.  If you
tap them and they feel good - great.  If it still doesn't feel good enough,
then do the CA glue as well.

Paul Brown