Tuning Pins

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 19:48:23 +0100

Grin... well we all have our own experiences and of course must draw
what
conclusions we feel appropriate based on them. No offence meant, but I
know very few techs who subscribe to the idea that tapping pins in has
any
real lasting value. Tho no doubt from time to time it may help a bit.

I would not personally advise this method when there are available other
more effective "quick" solutions. But as with most of our work there are
always varying opinions. I think you will find you are in the distinct
minority
here.. but so be it.

My advice to the person who posed the question is to go with what seems
"right", and find out for him/ her self. If you do tap in the pins, make
sure not to bury the coils into the pinblock or plate, and try to avoid
steeping the angle off the pressure bar too much in the absence of felt
padding
between the presure bar and the tunning pins.

In any case Keith, I really have no firm position on these quick fixes,
prefering to just change the pins, and solve the problem on a more
permanant basis. If the block is cracked up... well it into the shop on
its back
and fix it or can it, whatever is appropriate. Otherwise I refer the
customer to
a couple other techs I know that are motivated to doing the quick fix
kinda thing. grin. No slant intended :)

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway

kam544@flash.net wrote:

> >   ...driving in the pins is basically a useless solution. You at best
> >gain perhaps 3 mm of new grip, and sometimes end up with a less then
> >desirable relationship bewteen the strings and the pressure bar. In short
> >it doesnt really work, and certainly doesnt last more then a short time.
> >
> >Richard Brekne
>
> Not so, Richard.  Once again, based on the circumstances, tapping tuning
> pins is a great asset, both on inexpensive and expensive pianos when the
> tuning stability starts to become marginal due to tuning pins that will no
> longer stay in place.
>
> As to 'driving' the tuning pin versus the expression I am using, 'tapping'
> the tuning pin, I only tap the pin enough to witness a slight movement.
> Anymore than that is unnecessary in the majority of the situations I have
> experienced.
>
> And as to the concept of only establishing new grip at the bottom end of
> the tuning pin, I respectfully submit that the entire surface of the tuning
> pin hole is affected by this tap, thereby creating more than ample friction
> to introduce holding power once again.

I think research into this matter will show you otherwise,, but if it
"works" for you.. great. It doesnt for me, and actually I am suprised to
hear
from an RPT any positive comments about this proceedure.. but each new
day
brings a suprise. Perhaps different climates have something to say in
all this ??

> There just too many pianos I have done where the tuning pins are holding
> quite well, pianos that I tune twice a year minimum, and have been doing so
> for many years.

Have you ever taken torque reading on these ??

> "That's my story and I'm sticking to it."    :-)

And a very good story it is as well... hehe..