US Patent 59111617 - Piano Escapement Action

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 09:09:06 -0200

Horace Greeley wrote:

> I assume you mean in terms of  something being plagarized from an out of
> date patent as a form of scholarship and research?

Horace,

I'm not sure what you mean. I suffered unfounded accusations of plagiarism
while I was in school and I'm sure I exhausted the literature I referenced.

This patent references two German patents - C-96 578 from 03/1898 and C-224 40
from 07/1910 of whose contents I am unfamiliar, but the piano in my shop
predates both of them while it exhibits precisely the subject of the patent.

Do you mean that I am inquiring whether anyone knows of the at least physical
precedent for this patent, or do you mean that the patent is founded upon the
scholarship and research of the holders of the patent?

Since there is an assignee, Steinway, Inc., it would seem that the patent is
not simply a _vanity patent_ (meaning that a number of the returns on my search
seem unlikely candidates for commercial application) but rather an invention
being considered for integration into a product, perhaps 110 years after a
possible prior patent.

I understand that integrating several unrelated out-of-date patents is
permissable, and that an un-patented innovation may be grabbed. This is rather
the focus of my inquiry: I do not claim to be well versed in legal language
(tho. I used to be in State-Departmentalese...;)) so I may be missing certain
features that supercede what the Broadwood has - however, it seems that the
adjustable portion of the invention _is not_ the premise of the patent, instead
a subset of it. In this case, does ignorance count? Or should someone be
compiling a list of the semi-infringements Steinway has racked over time.

Clark, "I'm now on the Steinway blacklist but I don't want to work on another
Steinway upright anyways, and Steinway hammers come damaged worse than
Pratt-Win parts"