Digital vs Real

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 07:04:49 EST

In a message dated 11/10/1999 12:46:28 AM, Ricundampened wrote:

<<"Yes!! for years I have been trying how to figure out how to get a hammer
to strike a string in a "not-fully-dampened position." and even in the "fully
dampened position" Have I got a lot to learn yet, or are you talking about
half pedaling? ; )---ric">>

Nah Ric this is probably just a semantic curvature..........when a note is
repeated several times and the string vibrations have not been "fully"
stopped by the dampers due to the sustain pedal being used as a metronome, or
even your "half pedaling", or some other reason.... the color of the note
will be different than from a fully 'stopped' position. Pitch is the same,
the sound is different.

 I haven't figured out how to get a hammer to strike a string in the "fully
dampened" position yet but there are a couple of techs around who have! :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)