Capo Bar

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 09:19:47 -0700 (MST)

Hi Matthew:

If this piano is being played by a budding Concert Artist or is in a very
lively church, I suspect that the problem is with the player or players
and not with the piano. In these types of situations I have seen over
the years the same results with every brand of piano including Steinways,
Baldwins, Yamahas, Kawais, Kimballs etc.

In my 15 years at the University, I became the string knot tying champion.
Every week there were several strings to be repaired. Yes, you can soften
the hammers, increase the let-off etc., but when people put the lid down
so they have somewhere to place their books, and then play a small grand
to try to make it sound like a concert grand, breakage is inevitable. The
thing that bugged me the most was when they would play the piano in this
manner and then be holding the shift pedal down all the time (this
increases the incidence of string breakage) just to have mercy on their
ears.

Jim Coleman, Sr.