How does CA cure?

Fri, 12 Nov 1999 12:13:22 -0500

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999 10:21:10 -0500 Robert Scott <rscott@wwnet.net>
writes:

  For tuning pin applications, it would seem
> that if you could wait a day or so, CA would definitely be done
> curing even without a kicker.
>
> -Robert Scott
>  Ann Arbor, Michigan

Robert -

I concur.  I recently had an upright in my shop primarily for refinish
only, but took the opportunity to treat a few loose pins with CA w/out
kicker.  In a few hours there was no noticeable improvement, but in 24
hours the pins felt fantastic.  Obviously, on the job- in the home
-during a tuning this is unacceptable, thus the need for the kicker.
I have heard from numerous sources that indeed the actual strength of the
bond is weakened considerably by use of the kicker.  This may be due,
however, to using a larger quantity than is necessary to accelerate the
cure.  In the case of tightening loose tuning pins, I wouldn't think it
would be much of an issue.  Bonding two materials together would be a
different matter.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com