Removing burrs on capstans: an elaboration

Nancy McMillan nlm@csu.cted.net
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 07:30:08 -0500

Brian De Tar wrote:
> No, a buffing wheel will not take off the burrs I believe you are talking
> about.  For those not familiar with this, there is sometimes an actual
> 'ridge' around the outer edge of some capstans.  Many of these also have a
> small, sometimes rather sharp bump in the middle of the capstan.  A
buffing
> wheel will merely smooth the edges when what you really want to do is
remove
> the ridge and bump completely.  As I posted in an earlier letter, I've
found
> the most efficient method is to use what is commonly referred to as a
> deburring wheel made by 3M (and probably others).  After removing the
ridge
> and bump, follow up with the buffing wheel.  You will notice a marked
> improvement in the touch and responsiveness of the action not to mention
the
> elimination of the cause of excessive wear of the wippen cloth!
>
> Hope this elaboration helps out!

Brian, thanks for elaborating on this.  The "ridge" is exactly what I have
and want to remove.  I don't have the little center bump, but I've seen it
on other capstans.

My MSC Industrial Supply Co. catalog (800-645-7270) has several different
models of 3M (Scotch- Brite) deburring wheels.  I'm tending toward the
Scotch-Brite High Strength Disc designed for light deburring work.  What is
the wheel you're presently using?

Thanks for the expanded answer, have a good weekend.

Doug Mahard, Associate