Tuning Pins

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 11:24:42 +0100

Well.. this post in itself is agreeable enough Jim.. the point is that this line
is in response to a particular query, in which the situations you draw up as
appropriate are somewhat different.

The individual, after my reading of his post, refered to a piano with loose
pins, like in lots of them. This indicates a problem that I dont see pin tapping
solving.

On the other hand, if one first is in a situation where you run into one or two
loose pins while tuning a piano, I understand why some tuners do this. I do not.
I carry a supply of spare pins with me, and I will simply change the pin, and
make a note of it in the piano,  (either on one of the keys, or on a history
sheet if available).

If its a choice between tapping, dopping, or changing, it is my experience that
changing gives decidedly the best and most long lasting result. It is just about
as quick to do as either of the above proceedures, and I really fail to
understand why pin changinging is apparently some kind of "to be avoided" thing.
Quite baffeling really.. grin

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway