Steinway Fallboard Question

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 18:44:21 -0500

Jeannie wrote:
I've been at this for 30 years and yesterday, I came across a grand that I
couldn't open.

Hi Jeannie,

Here's one place to look that drove me nuts before I figured it out.  I've
only seen it twice.

Move the fallboard so that it's halfway between fully open and fully closed.
Look carefully at the ends of the fallboard.  I've seen a piano or two where
the fallboard was fastened to a metal bracket on each end that was screwed
into the ends of the fallboard.  There's usually two screws on each end
which when removed will allow the fallboard to slide almost effortlessly off
of the piano.

It's worth a look.  :-)

Have a nice weekend, Jeannie.

Brian Trout