How does CA cure?

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 00:16:30 -0800

At 12:13 PM 11/12/1999 -0500, Mark Potter wrote:

>I have heard from numerous sources that indeed the actual strength of the
>bond is weakened considerably by use of the kicker.  This may be due,
>however, to using a larger quantity than is necessary to accelerate the
>cure.  In the case of tightening loose tuning pins, I wouldn't think it
>would be much of an issue.  Bonding two materials together would be a
>different matter.

I found a website that talked about how CA glue cures. (Sorry, I can't
remember what it is now. It was put on by one of the manufacturers of CA
glue.) There is a stabilizer molecule mixed into the glue which keeps it
liquid in the bottle. When exposed to air, and especially to moisture, this
molecule breaks down and the glue polymerizes. Thus, a thin layer of CA can
set up rapidly and well, while a larger blob just sits there, since the
moist air can't get to the stabilizer in the middle.

I believe that using the kicker when doping pinblocks may be a mistake,
because it might set up the top layer, leaving the rest, deep in the hole,
sealed in so that moisture and air can't break down the stabilizer.
However, this is merely conjecture on my part.

Susan Kline