Stranger Buzz Musings

Robert A. Anderson fndango@azstarnet.com
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 15:18:49 -0700

Susan Kline wrote:

"I use a 6B (very soft) pencil to rub across the contact area, where the
glides have made marks."

I would like to cast a vote (or as many votes as I can) against this
solution. Even though it can stop a noise, the side effects can be
worse than the problem (in my experience.) I have gotten graphite on my
hands and clothes because of this. (Fortunately, I've managed to avoid
getting it on a customer's carpet.) I assume that Susan is very careful,
but some technician's have not been careful. It's possible to play with
fire without getting burnt. But I think it's safer to warn against using
graphite for this application.

Before resorting to lubrication, it is worth checking the glides for
tightness and proper height. I have found that glides that are loose in
the keyframe can cause noise, as well as glides that exert too much
pressure against the keybed.

By the way, Brian De Tar has just concluded a very instructive
3-installment article on bedding the keyframe in the PTJ.

Bob Anderson
Tucson, AZ