hammer hanging question

PNOTNR@AOL.COM PNOTNR@AOL.COM
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 23:08:55 EST

List,

I'm replacing hammers on a 1963 Baldwin D Grand.  Unfortunately I am not
replacing the original hammers.  Whoever installed the existing hammers did a
very poor job.  They are not close to 90 degrees to the shank, shaping
appears to have been done freehand, possibly with a pocket knife.  In
addition, I suspect that these were likely not the correct hammers for this
instrument from the start.

I figure that using guide hammers from this set may not be much help!

Is 5-1/8" the correct distance (center pin to center of hammer molding) for
this instrument.  Is this a fairly standard measurement?  Seems like I should
have been able to find this information in my books or past journals, but I
wasn't having mush luck.

Thanks for any help.

Gordon Large, RPT
Maine